Monday, June 12, 2006

Gay Bashing in New York

Famous gay diva Kevin Aviance was gay bashed in New York and is now recovering in a hospital. You can read the full story here.

Wow. What really shocks me is that this happened in New York City of all places, one of the queerest cities in the world. This makes me wonder how much this actually does happen and we just don't hear about it because the victims aren't famous. I don't personally know Kevin, but I am acutely aware of who he is and how important a figure he is to OUT and PROUD music because he's been doing it for years and scoring hit after hit on the dance chart and I know several people who do know him personally, so that makes it feel like he's family 2 me.
It IS refreshing and wonderful 2 see so many OUT musicians rallying around Kevin and showering support and help and love right now. What a family! That is beautiful 2 me and I'm so thrilled that I belong 2 this family. Discovering OUTmusic a few years ago really has made an amazing difference not only in my music but also in my life.

Whatever happens, whether it be a benefit concert, a fundraiser or whatever, though I'm nowhere near New York, I will definitely lend any support that I can.

There R 2 things that stick out in my mind right now ... he was attacked a group of young guys ... he could have very easily been taken from us. Thank God it wasn't worse. Second, this could have very easily been me ... and it might be me one day unless we can do something about the hate climate in this country. We have evolved SO very much since the days of MLK, I just hope we continue in a forward motion and don't start backpeddling because I've become keenly aware of increased hostility towards blacks AND gays lately and it's a bit disturbing.

I've been truly blessed in my life 2 have never had an altercation or even a hint of a fight with anyone, even after I came out ... I'm not gonna pretend though that I won't be checking over my shoulder after my next gig in 2 weeks.

"We've got 2 find a way 2 bring some lovin' here 2day." - Marvin Gaye, What's Goin' On

Check out Saturn on I-Tunes!

Get Saturn's CDs at CDBaby!

Check out Saturn on MySpace!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home